Grave injustice’— Okai tackles Gov Ododo over alleged deduction of Kogi LG staff salaries

GodGift Ifunanya
2 Min Read

The House of Representatives candidate for Dekina/Bassa Federal Constituency in the 2023 general election, Comrade Usman Okai Austin, has said the alleged deduction of 20 per cent of the salaries of local government staff in Kogi State is a grave injustice that cannot be overlooked.

Okai also called on Governor Usman Ododo and his administration to address the allegation transparently and take immediate steps to rectify the situation.

Recently, it was reported that Ododo allegedly authorized the deduction of 20 per cent of the salaries of local government staff, leaving them with only 80 per cent of their rightful earnings.

This revelation had sparked outrage and condemnation across the state.

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Reacting, Okai said citizens cannot turn a blind eye to such blatant acts of injustice and theft.

In a statement he signed, Okai said the people of Kogi State deserve better, stressing that it was time for them to demand the accountability and integrity.

He said: “We must demand transparency from our government and refuse to tolerate any form of corruption. It is our collective responsibility to speak out against injustice and ensure that those in power are held to account for their actions.

“It is important to emphasize that this is not an issue of tribalism or bias; rather, it is a matter of accountability and transparency in governance.

“Regardless of our tribal affiliations, we must unite in condemning any form of corruption within our government. The welfare of all citizens, irrespective of ethnicity,should be the priority of any responsible administration.

The implications of such actions are dire. Deducting a portion of workers’ salaries without valid justification not only undermines their livelihoods but also violates their rights as employees.

“It is a betrayal of the trust placed in the government to fairly and equitably manage public resources.”

Share this Article
Leave a comment